iPhoneTether For Easy iPhone 3.0 Tethering! (Mac only) [UPDATE]

Hey everyone! I spent most of my night working on this iPhoneTether program that allows you to tether your iPhone (probably 3G only) to a computer in order to receive internet access through your phone’s connection! This is only for those who have installed iPhone OS 3.0, and works on most carriers (for example, not T-mobile Austria, apparently, unless you have the IPCC for it). It connects to Apple’s iTunes version server, and allows you to choose a carrier that it will automatically modify to allow tethering. Thanks to Erica Sadun et al (not sure who exactly was involved) for coming up with this method, and of course Steven Troughton Smith, who discovered this. Without further ado, here is the application.

If you liked this, feel free to donate to me at the iJailBreak site.

UPDATE 6/17/09: Since 3.0 is out to the public now, people are actually starting to use this. However, in the final iTunes, before using iPhoneTether, you will have to run the Terminal command “defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE”. I will release a new version of iPhoneTether shortly that does this automagically for you. Also, a few days ago, I updated iPhoneTether to a new version that has an “Other IPCC…” button to allow you to specify your own carrier file. Good luck, and spread the word!

UPDATE 2: iPhoneTether has been updated to 1.1 with full compatability for iTunes 8.2 and 3.0 final, no Terminal hackery needed.

UPDATE 3: iPhoneTether does not currently work on iPhone OS 3.1.

Popularity: 100% [?]

This entry was posted in iPhone 3.0 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to iPhoneTether For Easy iPhone 3.0 Tethering! (Mac only) [UPDATE]

1. Nicode70 says:

@Jhedhi
    Could you please send me the orange fr ipcc file? or post a link in the comments?

2. Pingback: 300baud.com » Blog Archive » Quickie iPhone 3.0 Tethering How-to

3. JJ Supa Fly says:

It really can’t be that easy can it??

Works perfectly on ATT over USB…haven’t tried Bluetooth yet.

4. Pingback: iPhone? (Merged threads) - Page 283 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

5. Pingback: iPhone 3G - tethered internet on etisalat! - EmiratesMac

6. Steve says:

Not working for me. I have all the updates for iTunes and iPhone. My carrier is AT&T and I followed all the steps and the tethering option is no appearing on the phone. I also synced the phone after following all the steps. Can anyone help?

7. Steve says:

P-atr1k, your phone can’t e syncing for it to work. I was able to select the file but the tethering option never appeared on my phone.

8. Jack says:

Worked fine, very easy to install. All phone features working on my 3G/ATT phone, camera, VM, mail, etc.. USB tethering worked 806kbps down, 127kbps up on my macbook pro.

When I first went to turn tethering on I saw a “contact ATT” notice, so I tried it again and off she went just fine.

If it doesn’t work you can always revert to the older carrier file, this really is not a hack.

Big thanks to the author!!!

9. Ben W says:

Any chance of including the O2 UK settings?

10. Pingback: My tweets for the week. | Arlton Lowry

11. Andre says:

Hey,
    Thanks for the app, it’s great but for some reason I can see the carrier settings but the tethering option still isn’t available. Is it because I’m using an iPhone 2G (not 3G)? is there any way to fix this so I can tether my iPhone 2G as well??

Thanks!

12. AriX says:

@Andre – Tethering for 2G is not supported right now :(

13. Pingback: iPhone 3G + Telecom XT = WCDMA Goodness « George Brownlee

14. Pete says:

Any chance to get this working on Windows ?

15. Scott says:

Can we get a windows version please??

16. Corkman says:

Followed instructions, although had to use the Terminal commands, updated carrier from iTunes but cannot find the option in Settings/General/Network

Anyone?

17. Little t says:

I followed your instructions, but could not find the button to turn on Tethering. I am using an iPhone that is less than 6 months old. I am running 3.0 and iTunes 8.2

18. ??? ? ?????? says:

? ?? ????????? ?????
    ??? ????? ??? ? ??????????
    ? ??????? ?????? ?????
    ??????? ???????? ??? ????
    ? ?? ????????? ?????
    ????? ?? ????? – ?????? ??????
    ???? ?????? ?????? ??? ?????

19. Zashkaser says:

I love these stories! Keep making them!

20. Jonathan says:

I also need a carrier option for “T-mobile US” please!!!!

21. Kiruha says:

??????, ??????? ??????? ??? ? ????????? ????. ???? ??? ?? ????? ?????.

22. Pingback: anti ageing creams what really works 25893

23. As the admin of this web site is working, no uncertainty very soon
    it will be renowned, due to its feature contents.

24. Coy says:

Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe this website needs
    a lot more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the information!

My webpage: Coy

25. It’s difficult to find educated people for this subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking
    about! Thanks

26. ????? ????? says:

Great new watch Guide Explains Solution To Rule The watch Marketplace

27. I savour, cause I found just what I was having a look
    for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless
    you man. Have a nice day. Bye

28. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it,
    you happen to be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and may come back someday.
    I want to encourage you continue your great job, have a nice day!